Agua de Jamaica which translates as “hibiscus water” is a typical agua fresca to accompany the mid-day meal in Mexico. It is sweet, tart, delicious and really refreshing all at the same time.
Hibiscus tea is an herbal tea that’s made by steeping parts of the hibiscus plant in boiling water and has been used around the world for centuries.
It has a tart flavor similar to that of cranberries and can be enjoyed both hot and cold. We like it plain, but you can add your favorite sweetener to taste.
Hibiscus tea is rich in powerful antioxidants and may therefore help prevent damage and disease caused by the buildup of free radicals.
One of the most impressive and well-known benefits of hibiscus tea is that it may lower blood pressure.
In addition to lowering blood pressure, some studies have found that hibiscus tea may help lower blood fat levels, which are another risk factor for heart disease.
Hibiscus Tea is really simple to prepare. Simply steep the flowers in hot water for 5-10 minutes, remove the flowers, and enjoy!
We make it for iced tea by adding ½ cup of flowers to 2 quarts of boiling water. This makes a concentrated batch which we then dilute to taste and put in the fridge – yummy, refreshing, and healthy!
- Pairs perfectly with just about any authentic Mexican recipe
- Great with chicken, beef, pork, fish, you name it
- Add a splash or two of vodka or tequila for a refreshing adult beverage
- Make colorful ice cubes for your favorite drinks
- Agua de Jamaica is light, just right and DELICIOUS!
- Let your culinary imagination run wild!