This Korean-style rice bowl is so versatile and delicious, and puts a Korean classic within the grasp of any home cook. You can use pork fillet or chicken thighs in place of the beef, if you like.
Beef Bulgogi Bibimbap
- 1 Lb Rib Eye or Sirloin Steak Thinly sliced
- 2-1/2 Cups Basmati Rice Cook as per rice instructions
- 1 Large Carrot Julienned
- 1 Medium Onion Sliced
- 1/2 Pack Sliced Mushrooms
- 1-1/2 Cups Bean Sprouts
- 1 Bunch Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Nomad Bulgogi Spice Mix
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 5 tsp Sesame Oil
- 4 Large Eggs
- Nomad Gochugaru (Korean Red Chili Pepper Flakes ) For extra heat (optional)
- 3 Spring Onions
- Sesame Seeds
- Place the meat slices in a bowl and sprinkle the Bulgogi Seasoning to coat. Mix gently with hands and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Start by preparing your rice in a rice cooker and getting that going. If you don’t have a rice cooker, follow our instructions for making rice without a rice cooker. Then put a medium pot of water on the stove, and bring to a boil.
- Heat 1 tsp. sesame oil in a large non-stick frying pan (one that has a lid) over high heat. Add onions and stir-fry for 1 min, then add carrots and cook another minute. Add the rest of the vegetables, stir and cook another minute. Add a splash of water to the pan, cover with the lid and cook for 3-4 min, until just tender. Remove to a plate, dress with 1/2 tbsp soy sauce, cover and keep warm.
- Add 2 tsp sesame oil to the empty pan and add rice, stirring to break up any clumps, and fry for 3-4 min until piping hot. Transfer to a baking tray and put in the oven to keep warm and crisp up while you cook the beef.
- Just before cooking over a hot grill or very hot skillet, add the vegetable oil to the beef and toss. Add 1 tsp sesame oil to the pan and then add the slices of beef individually and sear until charred and crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Set aside & keep warm.
- Wipe pan clean with kitchen paper. Add remaining 1 tsp sesame oil and fry eggs until crisp on the bottom and just set on top, about 4 min.
- Divide rice between 4 bowls and top with the vegetables, beef and fried eggs. Garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds. Serve each with a spoonful of kimchi & hoisin sauce (optional)