Berbere spice, also known as Ethiopian Spice Blend, is a crucial component of many Ethiopian dishes such as Doro Wat. The name “berbere” means “hot” in Amharic and the name is quite appropriate as the blend begins with a tongue-exhilarating rush of cayenne, Aleppo pepper, and black and white peppers.
Berbere is the quintessential spice blend of Ethiopian cuisine. It’s earthy, slightly sweet and spicy flavor adds a rustic, bold flavor to traditional dishes and grilled meats. Our hand blended unique seasonings such as ajowan seed, fenugreek, ground chiles, cardamom, cumin and clove for our Berbere Ethiopian Blend.
Deep orange brown color
- Add 1/2 teaspoon Berbere per 1 cup of raw rice at the start of cooking for an exotic flavor
- Sauté with onions in butter or oil to start barley or farro pilafs, meat and vegetable stews
- Sprinkle on steak, chicken or fatty fish such as salmon before grilling
- Sprinkle on vegetables such as squash, carrots, parsnips or sweet potatoes before roasting
- Add a pinch to honey cake, spice cake, fruitcake or gingerbread batter
Packed in Resealable Natural Kraft Bags